Discover the media value and exposure that brands earned through broadcasts and social sponsorship during the 2023 Major League Soccer (MLS) Regular Season.
As we await the 2026 FIFA Men's World Cup, Major League Soccer is ready to seize the momentum. The league's 28th season witnessed historic moments, including the launch of St. Louis City SC and the inaugural Leagues Cup. Moreover, the arrival of MLS Season Pass on Apple TV took fan engagement to new heights. With a league attendance record of 22,111 per match, marking a 5% increase from the previous year, MLS is on fire!
And let's not forget the arrival of soccer legend Lionel Messi – an 8-time Ballon d'Or winner and World Cup Champion. The excitement is palpable!
We compiled all the data you need to explore the sponsorship impact of Major League Soccer's latest campaign with comprehensive insights covering social, streaming, and broadcast brand exposure during the 2023 season.
Download the Full 2023 MLS Brand Exposure Report Here
Key Takeaways from the Report
- Social stole the spotlight: Relo Metrics found each social platform holds different strengths, so it’s important to use multiple. With Messi's arrival creating a whirlwind of attention, social media emerged as a crucial channel for brands to earn media value.
- The power of goal carpets: While goal carpets already offer great visibility, their full potential still offers an opportunity to be explored. Brands can maximize this valuable asset for even greater exposure in years to come.
- Jersey Sleeves: A golden opportunity. Jersey Sleeves provide an excellent opportunity for brands to receive exposure. Sadly, only half of the teams took advantage of this in 2023.
MLS by the Numbers
The 28th season of Major League Soccer was a game-changer, capturing the attention of fans worldwide. With Relo's comprehensive coverage of all 29 MLS clubs' matches and social media posts, the numbers speak for themselves.
1. Social Media
- Social is the key with nearly 65% of MLS' social media audience falling within the coveted 18-34 demographic. No longer just an "added-value" proposition, it is now a vital component for structuring successful brand partnerships.
- Lionel Messi's signing with Inter Miami CF transformed the club and brought extensive social media coverage to the entire league. Witness the overwhelming surge in media value generated on Instagram and the rapid growth of TikTok. Social media platforms are now at the forefront of brand value.
- While Instagram contributed to 59% of social media value and 38% of the total value, TikTok demonstrated exceptional engagement (22.6K engagements per exposure on average).
- The top ten most valuable placements in MLS delivered extraordinary results across in-stadium, player, and social media assets. From Match Kits to Field Level Boards, each activation provides immense value.
3. Apple TV Season Pass
- MLS Season Pass on Apple TV revolutionized the way sports content is consumed. This groundbreaking partnership aimed to tackle the challenges of cord-cutters and cord-nevers. With every single live MLS regular season match, playoffs, and the North American Leagues Cup available worldwide, streaming sports has never been easier. Bid farewell to in-market blackouts and embrace a seamless viewing experience.
Download the full report to learn more about the brand value of the 2023 MLS Regular Season.